The online application portal for our graduate program in Cognitive Science of Language unlocks November 1st each year for September admission only. The deadline for applying is as follows:
January 31st for International Students
March 31st for Domestic Students
- Complete the online application -> McMaster University Application
- Ensure you have uploaded the required documents to your online application.
- Statement of Interest (identify the faculty member you wish to work with)
- Writing Sample (any type of academic writing i.e. term paper, thesis chapter)
- Two academic references (McMaster University uses an Electronic Referencing System. By entering the email address of your referee through the online application, the system will automatically send an e-Reference request on your behalf)
- English Language Proficiency (if English is not your native language)
3. Arrange to have official documents mailed directly to our Department of Linguistics & Languages
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary academic work completed to date (transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to our Department, please include English translation if applicable)
- Official copy of your TOEFL or IELTS scores or any other evidence of English proficiency (TOEFL: minimum score of 92 (internet based), 237 (computer based) or 580 (paper based), minimum of 20 per band; for the Faculty of Engineering a minimum score of 88 (internet based) or 213 on the (computer based) or 550 (paper based) IELTS (Academic): minimum overall score of 6.5, with at least 5.5 in each section)
**NOTE** Applicants from outside of Canada should begin the application process as early as possible to allow time to obtain all necessary documents.
Where to send your documents:
Department of Linguistics & Languages Togo Salmon Hall, Room 513
1280 Main Street West
Canada L8S 4M2
For more information about graduate studies at McMaster University, please see the School of Graduate Studies website.