Please note that Mosaic access will be shut down on Saturday, January 28 from noon – 6 p.m. for scheduled maintenance.
Applications are considered once a year, for admission the following September. Applications received by January 31, 2018 will receive the fullest consideration for admission in September 2018.
To apply for admission, follow these steps:
- First, complete the on-line application, found at:
- Note that the online application form will ask you to provide the names and email-addresses of two instructors most familiar with your work. They will be electronically invited by the Electronic Referencing System to provide confidential letters of reference.
- Once you have completed the on-line application, please e-mail the following documents to the Graduate Secretary, Department of Linguistics and Languages at email@example.com
- A one- to two-page Statement of Interest in pursuing graduate studies in the Cognitive Science of Language. Include a brief description of any research, teaching, or work experience that is related to your proposed area of concentration, and identify the faculty members whom you would like to work with.
- A writing sample, such as a term paper, thesis chapter, or other example of your academic writing.
- Also arrange to have paper copies mailed directly to the department of the following:
- One official transcript for each university you have attended, sent directly from the issuing institution.
- If English is not your native language, an official copy of your TOEFL or IELTS score, or other evidence of competency in English. The minimum TOEFL (iBT) score is 92 (580 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 237 on the computer-based TOEFL test). The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 overall on the Academic test, with a minimum score of 5.5 in each section.
NB: Applicants from outside Canada should begin the application process as early as possible to allow time to obtain the necessary documents.
Where to send your documents:
Department of Linguistics & Languages, TSH 513
1280 Main Street West
Canada L8S 4M2
For more information about graduate studies at McMaster University, please see the School of Graduate Studies website.